By David Krasner
- Balances attention of canonical fabric with dialogue of works by way of formerly marginalized playwrights
- Includes reviews of major dramatists, equivalent to Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Gertrude Stein
- Allows readers to make new hyperlinks among specific performs and playwrights
- Examines the events that framed the century, equivalent to the Harlem Renaissance, lesbian and homosexual drama, and the solo performances of the Nineteen Eighties and 1990s
- Situates American drama inside higher discussions approximately American rules and culture
Read Online or Download A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
A better half to Tragedy is a necessary source for someone drawn to exploring the position of tragedy in Western background and tradition. Tells the tale of the ancient improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity beneficial properties 28 essays by way of well known students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy huge in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and background deals a clean evaluate of old Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of studying tragedy has replaced greatly long ago twenty years
While St. Louis homemaker Pearl Curran all started writing fiction and poetry at a Ouija board in 1913, she attributed the paintings to the “discarnate entity” persistence worthy, a seventeenth-century Puritan. notwithstanding now nearly forgotten, her writing garnered either severe compliment and public acceptance on the time.
Northrop Frye’s Uncollected Prose, which gains twenty-one items within the type of notes, prefaces, studies, and talks, is the newest addition to the extraordinary physique of writing by way of and approximately Frye. one of the highlights of the gathering are Frye’s “Notes on Romance,” written in coaching for the lectures that finally turned The Secular Scripture; a newly chanced on early computing device, components of which can date from his moment 12 months as an undergraduate at Victoria collage; and a couple of formerly unavailable interviews.
This research applies the concept that of postmemory, constructed in Holocaust reports, to novels through modern British writers. the 1st monograph-length research of postmemory in British fiction, it makes a speciality of a bunch of texts in regards to the global Wars. construction upon present paintings on historic fiction, particularly historiographic metafiction and reminiscence stories, this paintings extends this box by means of exploring the ways that using historic learn inside fiction illuminates the ways that we take into account and recreate the previous.
- A New Matrix for Modernism: A Study of the Lives and Poetry of Charlotte Mew & Anna Wickham (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Feminine Fictions: Revisiting the Postmodern: Volume 14 (Routledge Library Editions: Women, Feminism and Literature)
- Counting Bodies: Population in Colonial American Writing
- Philip K. Dick: Contemporary Critical Interpretations (Contributions to the Study of Science Fiction & Fantasy)
- Joseph Conrad's Critical Reception
Extra resources for A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Twentieth-Century American Drama (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Krasner