By Rebecca Bushnell
- Tells the tale of the old improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity
- Features 28 essays through popular students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy
- Broad in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and history
- Offers a clean evaluation of historical Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of studying tragedy has replaced greatly some time past decades
Read or Download A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
A spouse to Tragedy is a necessary source for someone drawn to exploring the function of tragedy in Western heritage and tradition. Tells the tale of the historic improvement of tragedy from classical Greece to modernity good points 28 essays by way of popular students from a number of disciplines, together with classics, English, drama, anthropology and philosophy huge in its scope and ambition, it considers interpretations of tragedy via faith, philosophy and background deals a clean evaluation of old Greek tragedy and demonstrates how the perform of studying tragedy has replaced greatly long ago 20 years
Whilst St. Louis homemaker Pearl Curran all started writing fiction and poetry at a Ouija board in 1913, she attributed the paintings to the “discarnate entity” endurance worthy, a seventeenth-century Puritan. although now almost forgotten, her writing garnered either serious compliment and public recognition on the time.
Northrop Frye’s Uncollected Prose, which gains twenty-one items within the kind of notes, prefaces, reports, and talks, is the newest addition to the extraordinary physique of writing via and approximately Frye. one of the highlights of the gathering are Frye’s “Notes on Romance,” written in guidance for the lectures that finally grew to become The Secular Scripture; a newly came across early laptop, components of that may date from his moment yr as an undergraduate at Victoria university; and a couple of formerly unavailable interviews.
This examine applies the idea that of postmemory, constructed in Holocaust reviews, to novels through modern British writers. the 1st monograph-length learn of postmemory in British fiction, it specializes in a bunch of texts in regards to the international Wars. construction upon present paintings on historic fiction, in particular historiographic metafiction and reminiscence reviews, this paintings extends this box by means of exploring the ways that using old learn inside fiction illuminates the ways that we keep in mind and recreate the previous.
- Retelling Stories, Framing Culture: Traditional Story and Metanarratives in Children's Literature (Children's Literature and Culture)
- Women and Domestic Experience in Victorian Political Fiction (Contributions in Women's Studies)
- Modern Antiques: The Material Past in England, 1660–1780 (Transits: Literature, Thought & Culture, 1650–1850)
- Wordsworth’s Poetry 1787-1814
- Socialism and Superior Brains: The Political Thought of George Bernard Shaw: Political Thought of Bernard Shaw
- Si verba tenerem: Studi sulla poesia latina in frammenti (Beiträge zur Altertumskunde) (Italian Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Rebecca Bushnell