By Joel H. Silbey
A significant other to the Antebellum Presidents presents a chain of unique essays exploring our ancient figuring out of the function and legacy of the 8 U.S. presidents who served within the major interval among 1837 and the beginning of the Civil warfare in 1861.
- Explores and evaluates the evolving scholarly reception of Presidents Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan, together with their roles, behaviors, triumphs, and failures
- Represents the 1st single-volume connection with assemble jointly the historiographic literature at the Antebellum Presidents
- Brings jointly unique contributions from a group of eminent historians and specialists at the American presidency
- Reveals insights into presidential management within the sector century best as much as the yankee Civil War
- Offers clean views into the principally forgotten males who served in the course of essentially the most decisive sector centuries of usa history
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best american history books
Andrew Carnegie is remembered as one of many world’s nice philanthropists. As a boy, he witnessed the benevolence of a businessman who lent his own ebook assortment to laborer’s apprentices. That early adventure encouraged Carnegie to create the “Free to the folks” Carnegie Library in 1895 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Winner of the Gulf South old Association's Michael Thomas e-book Award. In looking for Freedom after the Civil struggle: Klansman, Carpetbagger, Scalawag, and Freedman, G. Ward Hubbs makes use of a stark and iconic political comic strip to light up postwar conflicts over the which means of freedom within the American South.
service provider John Banister (1707–1767) of Newport, Rhode Island, wore many hats: exporter, importer, wholesaler, shop, money-lender, extender of credits and insurer, proprietor and clothes shop of cruising vessels, and send builder for the slave alternate. His lately found accounting files display his function in remodeling colonial alternate in mid–18th century the United States.
Public historians operating at museums and historical websites considering the Civil conflict period are tasked with analyzing a interval of historical past that continues to be deeply debatable. Many viewers have powerful connections to historical websites corresponding to battlefields and artifacts in addition to harbor powerful convictions in regards to the reason behind the struggle, its effects and the significance of slavery.
- Delmore Schwartz: A Critical Reassessment (Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics)
- A Land Apart: The Southwest and the Nation in the Twentieth Century (The Modern American West)
- US: A Narrative History Vol 2
- American Postmodernist Fiction and the Past
- Hartford Puritanism: Thomas Hooker, Samuel Stone, and Their Terrifying God (Oxford Studies in Historical Theology)
Additional resources for A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Joel H. Silbey