By Gary Burns
- Includes over dozen essays protecting the spectrum of pop culture reviews from nutrition to folklore and from television to technology
- Features contributions from validated and up-and-coming students from a number disciplines
- Offers a close historical past of the examine of well known culture
- Balances new views at the politics of tradition with in-depth research of themes on the vanguard of pop culture studies
Read Online or Download A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Similar popular culture books
Clubbing explores the cultures and areas of clubbing. Divided into 3 sections: Beginnings, The evening Out and Reflections, Clubbing contains first-hand debts of clubbing reviews, framing those money owed in the appropriate examine and a overview of clubbing in late-1990s Britain. Malbon rather focuses on:the codes of social interplay between clubbersissues of gender and sexualitythe results of musicthe position of ecstasyclubbing as a playful actand own interpretations of clubbing studies.
First-place winner of the Society for schooling reviews' 2005 ebook prize, schooling and clash is a serious evaluation of schooling in a global context. in keeping with the author's broad learn and adventure of schooling in numerous components bothered by way of clash, the ebook explores the connection among education and social clash and appears at clash inner to high schools.
This significantly accelerated 3rd version of The Christmas Encyclopedia (2001) provides 281 new entries, bringing the complete variety of Christmas themes to greater than 760. carrying on with within the layout of the former variants, a large choice of topics are incorporated: person carols and songs; historic occasions at Christmastime; renowned Christmas symbols; Christmas crops, position names, and stamps; and celebrations in international locations world wide, together with the origins of a few of the main adored traditions within the usa.
This penetrating historic research lines the increase and fall of the speculation of recapitulation and its enduring impact on American schooling. Inherently ethnocentric and racist, the speculation of recapitulation was once pervasive within the social sciences on the flip of the twentieth century whilst early revolutionary educators uncritically followed its uncomplicated tenets.
- Value and the Media: Cultural Production and Consumption in Digital Markets
- Soccer in Brazil (Sport in the Global Society – Contemporary Perspectives)
- Retcon Game: Retroactive Continuity and the Hyperlinking of America
- Brainard's Biographies of American Musicians (Music Reference Collection)
- Music in the Chautauqua Movement: From 1874 to the 1930s
Additional resources for A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)
A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) by Gary Burns