By Alexandra Juhasz,Alisa Lebow
A spouse to modern Documentary Film provides a set of unique essays that discover significant matters surrounding the kingdom of present documentary movies and their skill to encourage and impact change.
- Presents a finished selection of essays in terms of all elements of latest documentary films
- Includes approximately 30 unique essays through most sensible documentary movie students and makers, with every one thematic grouping of essays sub-edited via significant figures within the field
- Explores quite a few issues relevant to modern documentary filmmakers and the research of documentary movie – the planet, migration, paintings, intercourse, virus, faith, struggle, torture, and surveillance
- Considers a large variety of documentary motion pictures that fall outdoor commonplace canons, together with foreign and avant-garde documentaries provided in quite a few media
Read or Download A Companion to Contemporary Documentary Film PDF
Best film & video art books
Variation constitutes the motive force of up to date tradition, with tales tailored throughout an array of media codecs. despite the fact that, version experiences has been involved nearly completely with textual research, particularly with compare-and-contrast experiences of person novel and picture pairings. This has left virtually thoroughly unexamined an important questions of ways variations turn out to be made, what are the industries with the best stake in making them, and who the decision-makers are within the model technique.
Reclaiming the Archive: Feminism and picture heritage brings jointly a various workforce of foreign feminist students to envision the intersections of feminism, historical past, and feminist conception in movie. Editor Vicki Callahan has assembled essays that replicate various methodological approaches—including archival paintings, visible tradition, reception reports, biography, ethno-historical experiences, historiography, and textual analysis—by a various workforce of movie and media stories students to end up that feminist concept, movie historical past, and social perform are unavoidably and productively intertwined.
The rivalry of movie and the yankee Presidency is that over the 20 th century the cinema has been a silent associate in atmosphere the parameters of what we'd name the presidential imaginary. This quantity surveys the partnership in its sturdiness, putting tension on specifically iconic presidents similar to Lincoln and FDR.
This publication deals a much-needed specialise in Palestine unity movies, delivering a severe theoretical framework whose highbrow thrust is rooted within the demanding situations dealing with students censored for trying to rectify and opposite the silencing of a subject approximately which a lot of the area could stay uninformed with out cinematic and televisual mediation.
- Historical Dictionary of British Cinema (Historical Dictionaries of Literature and the Arts)
- An American Organist in Paris: The Letters of Lee Orville Erwin, 1930-1931
- Philosophy through Film
- New Zealand Film and Television: Institution, Industry and Cultural Change
Additional resources for A Companion to Contemporary Documentary Film
A Companion to Contemporary Documentary Film by Alexandra Juhasz,Alisa Lebow